Monday, February 22, 2010

Blog Post: 2: The Digital Divide

While searching the internet for recent news on the digital divide issue I found this article from the Denver Post on a website called Usability News. The article is called "The Digital Divide.” It's a lighthearted article by Bridgette Cassidy that focuses on her mother's relationship with technology. Specifically, Cassidy writes about the senior generation of Americans and their use of the Internet and technology. Cassidy writes that, "According to the Pew Internet & American Life Project, seniors are the fastest-growing age group going online. The most significant increase was with 70- to 75-year-olds, who went from 26 percent online in 2005 to 45 percent online in 2008." While talking about the reasons for the divide, the article implies that socioeconomic factors are not as important in dividing seniors as their lack of technological knowledge. Cassidy quotes her mother saying "Why take the time to peck out a response when I can just pick up the phone and call you?"

I liked that the article focused on seniors in the U.S. because I feel that they are a group often overlooked when it comes to the digital divide issue. The people I talk to seem to always focus on the importance of children around the world getting on computers and learning about the Internet because it will improve their lives. This is, of course, an important issue. However, when people talk about their grandparents getting on the computer and online they roll their eyes and use a negative tone. In a college student’s eyes it is embarrassing to get a friend request from your grandmother on Facebook.

According to Cassidy, usability is part of the issue that some seniors hesitate to embrace new technology and cross the digital divide. Perhaps more seniors would get online if they had better support from the younger generation of Americans. In fact, my grandma did recently add me on Facebook and it has been nothing but a pleasant experience. Now, I know when to call her for her Birthday and I get nice comments from her. Usability was not an issue for her because she works in a professional setting.

However, I believe in addition to not knowing how to use the Internet, many seniors simply do not know what the Internet offers. They hear about email and Facebook and YouTube but they do not have any idea what benefits and entertainment they offer. They offer faster, easier communication and also entertainment for hours. My grandfather refuses to get online because he just does not understand what he would be able to do on the Internet. I think about how my grandfather would enjoy what the Internet has to offer. He would especially enjoy the car racing videos on YouTube that my boyfriend, unfortunately, is obsessed with watching. Instead of sitting in front of the TV, my grandfather could interact with people online who have similar interests. The seniors of America have many years of life experience and having their presence online is not a negative thing for us younger generation Americans or them.

After looking at my grandfather's situation I really agree with Cassidy's implication that for seniors the digital divide is not so much about socioeconomic issues as it is their lack of knowledge on how to use the technology. Also, I would add that they do not have knowledge on what the technology can do. I think there would be great changes for my grandfather if he could learn how to use the internet. Plus, he would be able to gain and give more knowledge. I believe because of these reasons that younger generation Americans should provide as much support as they can to help the seniors of America cross the digital divide.

No comments:

Post a Comment